Friday, March 23, 2012

For the concept map lesson, I chose to map out a lesson that used in my creative writing class. My 8th graders had to create their own super hero or super villain. They would be the main character of their own short story/comic book. The characters had to have a personality profile of sorts. They had to describe why they were a super hero/villain, where they and their powers came from, what their strengths and weaknesses were, and include a physical description (could be in the form of a picture). They would then take this mapped out information and it could more easily be transferred into paragraph form. This was by far my most popular unit, and I feel as though if I had this program, it would have made it even better. The brainstorming stage of this assignment was always difficult for the students because they had a hard time organizing their ideas. We would always map them out on paper, but as we all know space runs out before the ideas do. I can see this tool being a permanent addition to my teaching tackle box.

No comments:

Post a Comment